Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

VAASL Conference SSR Session New Ideas Share

Thank you to everyone who attended one of the SSR and Secondary Students sessions.  I enjoyed talking with you all and appreciate you posting your ideas, questions, etc on the poster boards on your way out.  Here are the posts from the NEW IDEAS Poster:

NEW IDEAS:

  • bring in therapy dogs
  • kids commenting on morning announcements
  • reorganize the library by genre
  • use Glogester
  • Mockingjay PreMovie release party
  • English teachers can use SSR for small group remediation
  • Steven Lane, The Passion of Reading (speed dating for books)
  • let kids put sticky notes on books-- no spoilers
  • Reading Fair, like a science fair, to promote new books
  • Give your administrator a copy of The Power of Reading
  • Have classes do SSR outside during National Library Week
  • QR Codes with book trailers- kids can scan with their phone
Recap:  Great ideas shared here!  I too am planning a Mockingjay movie release party.  I do a monthly lunch in the library with a different theme each time.  I think these events help with the appeal factor of SSR.  I try to use my library programming to let kids know what books we have and to have access to them.  I love the Reading Fair idea!  I do New Book Preview Parties which is a little like this.  I thought the science fair board for a genre, a book series or an author could be a great follow up research opportunity for a student.

Which new ideas really speak to you?  Do you have any additional new ideas for SSR at the secondary level to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment